NATIONAL PARK OF ABRUZZO, LAZIO AND MOLISE
The Abruzzo National Park was born after a very short time from that of the Gran Paradiso, in 1921, on the initiative of a private association, the Pro Montibus and Silvis, which had understood the exceptional naturalistic value of the Abruzzo mountains, had seen the birth of its first protected nucleus of about 500 hectares in the Camosciara area; in 1922 the Autonomous Body of the Abruzzo National Park was established, which extended the protected area to 12,000 hectares.
With Royal Decree No. 257 of 11 January 1923, the park was officially established and its surface, on several occasions, expanded to the current one of 44,000 hectares + 60,000 of external protection. The territory of the park is predominantly public property ( State and Municipal Property).
The Park extends in the regions of Abruzzo, Lazio and Molise and in the provinces of L'Aquila, Frosinone, Isernia.
Its management is entrusted to the Autonomous National Park of Abruzzo. The park has an internal zoning that divides its territory into four zones (A, B, C, D), corresponding to those provided for by the national framework law and which graduate the possibilities of use and transformation of the territory.
The park is divided into the following areas: area A, an integral reserve; zone B, general reserve; protection zone C; development zone D It is mainly intended for the protection of the geological and speleological formations peculiar to the region as well as the original flora and fauna; in particular, of the bear (Ursus arctos marsicanus) and chamois (Rupicapra ornata) of Abruzzo.